My Encounters of The Young and the Restless Kind!

Hello Readers!

For those of you who don’t know this about me, I am a HUGE soap fan!  I’ve been watching them since I was young.  Back then, it was either watch what she was watching, or read a book, which I had already done a few times that day!  Now, it is my kids who look at me funny when the “Mommy Shows” are on.  They either make themselves scarce, or they fall asleep.

Out of the three soaps I watch, the one I love the most has to be The Young and the Restless (or Y & R).  It has the best patriarch in Victor Newman (played by Eric Braeden), the story lines, for the most part, have been fairly steady for the past few decades, and watching each episode makes me feel as though I am at home with my mom, yelling at the TV for something a character said or did that we were not happy about.

I thought I had posted about my first encounter with Y & R.  Let me give you some back story to this, as most of you will have no clue as to what I’m talking about.  I adore Eric Braeden.  As I previously stated, he is one of the reasons why I watch this show.  He is brash, witty, and ruthless as Victor Newman.  When I started tweeting, he was one of the first accounts I started following, and he was one of my first followers.

Eric Braeden ran a contest for his followers on his account, and it was about something we both have a love for: The NCAA Basketball Championships! It was Sweet 16 time, and he said that he would be giving away a script with the autographs of various cast members, including his own, to the followers that were able to guess which four teams he had picked to move forward in the tournament.  I guessed right, and a few weeks later, my script came in the mail.

It's here! It's finally here! I was so happy to see this, almost kissed the mail carrier!  :)
It’s here! It’s finally here! I was so happy to see this, almost kissed the mail carrier! 🙂

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEK! I can't wait to see it! Schoolgirl mode is in full effect!
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEK! I can’t wait to see it! Schoolgirl mode is in full effect!

Can you guess which autograph belongs to which actors on Y&R? Guess which one belongs to Eric Braeden? Trust me, it's not a hard one to find! :P
Can you guess which autograph belongs to which actors on Y&R? Guess which one belongs to Eric Braeden? Trust me, it’s not a hard one to find! 😛

I felt like a teenage girl getting to meet her pop star crush!  Sadly, at this point, I thought I would never be this close to another soap star again…that was the case, until a few weeks ago.

A rep for Mishael Morgan, who plays Hilary Curtis Winters on Y & R contacted me, asking me if I was interested in writing an post for SoapHub.com about her character on the show as well as her new projects coming out this summer.  I was floored! I had to read the email a few times to make sure it was real!  I quickly replied yes, of course!

After the details were ironed out, I got the call.  I went from being cool and collected to a bundle of excited nerves.  Mishael Morgan was very sweet about my “enthusiasm” over her interview, and it was a lot of fun ! I told her how I felt about Hilary, and where I wanted her character’s story line to go.  It seemed as though the interview went on forever, but it was only about 15 minutes long, and I didn’t want to seem unprofessional and start asking all of the questions I had in my head! Once the interview was over, I listened to our conversation (which I, unfortunately, will not add to this post, mainly because I sound like a nerdy fan!), but it was such an amazing opportunity to have been given.

Blogging had to be one of the most amazing hobbies/activities/jobs I have ever had! I have had the opportunity to go and do so many amazing things, including interacting with characters from my favourite soap opera! I’m curious as to what my next encounter of the Y & R kind will be! I hope I will gwt the chance to write another blog post, or even meet an actor! When it happens, I will certainly share this latest experience with you!

Hey Readers! Have you had a starry-eyed encounter with someone you admired? If you have, who was it, and what was it like? If not, who would you want to meet?

Reese.

1. Journeys of The Zoo

August 7, 2014 at 12:06 pm

Growing up, my mom and i would sit ourselves in front of the tv after school and eat cheez whiz on celery (levels things out) and watch the Y&R. I haven’t seen watched it in over 25 years but I bet that I could get right back into it. Thanks for the trip down memory lane.

As for your prize, Congratulations! How exciting. I love that you’re like a kid in a candy shop. Clearly the biggest and best fan got the prize.

Besos, Sarah
    Blogger at Journeys of The Zoo

1. Reese Speaks

August 7, 2014 at 12:21 pm

Thanks for the high praise, Sarah!

You’re right, it probably would take about 5 seconds to fall right back into the rhythm of things in Genoa City!

I think I will try meeting one of these stars the next time they are in town for the Women’s show!

2. Louise

August 7, 2014 at 7:47 pm

What an amazing story and experience you had! I’m excited for you! As for starry-eyed encounters on this end? I got to meet Dan Bern at Bluesfest, which I found pretty thrilling. And I got my photo taken with Mitchell Sharp once in my 20s at a Garden Party (mostly to amuse my parents) We have a “family legend” about me crawling all over him at various airports en route to Africa in the very early ’80s when I was about 3. I tried to tell 80-something-year-old him the tale while he smiled at the camera, but I don’t think he remembered… That said, the photo of the two of us I took that day still holds a place of honour in my parent’s guest room – so there’s that ;).

1. Reese Speaks

August 8, 2014 at 8:19 am

You’ve one-uped me there, Louise! You actually got to be face-to-face with these individuals. I hope, that if I were to become some kind of personality (fat chance of this happening), that I would soak up the enthusiasm that people who were excited to see me and truly acknowledge it. I know that, so some people, it may be ome old hat, but I think I would like meeting new people and making them happy wherever I went!

3. Sarah Robinson

August 8, 2014 at 12:47 pm

So maybe I don’t share the same obsession, err, love for soaps, but I share your excitement in incredible opportunities. Congrats sista! Sounds like you got the cherry on top 🙂

1. Reese Speaks

August 8, 2014 at 1:21 pm

Thanks Sarah! It’s! cool. Different stroke for different folks! Both encounters were really amazing! 🙂

4. Vanessa

August 11, 2014 at 12:13 pm

I am kinda pitiful – I don’t think I’ve ever had a close encounter with a celebrity of any kind! Never seen them in airports or anything! But I would be absolutely thrilled to get something in the mail that wasn’t a bill!

1. Reese Speaks

August 11, 2014 at 1:51 pm

Hey Vanessa! You are far from pitiful! You get to do what many of them cannot. You can travel the world, have adventures and not have the rigamaroo of the media hounding you at every turn!

5. Emily Smith // The Best of this Life

August 22, 2014 at 9:41 pm

That’s awesome! What a special item to have and to cherish for all your years of watching (and holding your breath, and crying, and yelling!). I remember I watched Days of our Lives one summer when I was in my teens. I became obsessed! But I couldn’t take the snail pace plot after a while and was too upset when something awful happened…lol. I never did watch Y & R, but I do know a few fans 😉 Um…celebrity encounters? I’ve had a few! Drew Barrymore & Tom Green here in Ottawa, Macaulay Culkin in London, England – and when I lived in NYC, I saw several…the Sex and the City girls, I chatted with “Miranda” for a while – she was really nice…um, David Schwimmer (Ross) – I met him at Shakespeare in the Park…Gabriel Burns (just a sighting at the local coffee shop…I stared him down..lol). I’ve seen a few more, just trying to remember them! I also am star struck momentarily and then remember, oh right, they are humans too 😉

6. Encounters of the Young and the Restless Kind: Mission Accomplished! | Reese Speaks

October 31, 2014 at 9:58 am

[…] did it! A few months ago, I said that the next item on my Y&R bucket list would be to meet someone form the cast of Y&R.  Well, Readers, mission accomplished! A few […]

7. Year-End Wrap, 2014! | Reese Speaks

January 6, 2015 at 11:57 am

[…] My Encounters of the Y&R Kind – This post was a great one for me to write about because I got to share with you one of my secret passions away from the computer: The Young and the Restless. It is my fav soap, and I have been watching it since I could remember. I also love how the stars of the show like to interact with their fans, and I wrote about how getting into the fab world of social media allows me to get them know them more as people away from their roles. […]