That’s My Baby!

Hey Readers! I realized something about myself that I didn’t think really existed becoming until now. I am slowly becoming what I call the “Cheerleading Mom” You know, kind of like Claire Huxatable whenever one of the kids on the show accomplished some sort of accomplishment. When one of the kids got through their arduous task, you would see Claire, the proudest person in the room, jump out of her chair, clapping and say, “That’s My Baby!”

Watching my kids grow up and accomplishing their own “Herculean feats,” I have noticed that I may have been a little inspired by this character when acknowledging their achievements. If it’s not the cheer Claire used for her kids, it’s an enthusiastic cheer session for their first words and first steps, or a whoop and super big hugs for “conquering the throne” or learning how to share their most favourte toy. Oh, the cheer session is not done in the privacy of our home, either. I do try to remember to tone it down a bit so I don’t to embarrass them, but I do also want them to know how proud I am of them.

My latest cheer session was at my daughter’s

volleyball tournament. She was put into the game after sitting out for a bit during the Gold Medal game. It was a bit of a tough day for her since her serve was a bit off, but she helped her team not only come back from a deficit, but made the winning play to win the gold! I was so happy and proud of my child overcoming her trouble and stepping up to do what she did that I shot right out my seat on the bleachers and cheered for my girl! I was also the only one to do so, but how many moments are there in life that I will witness my girl scoring the championship point? Maybe many times, or maybe never again! I also took a lot of pics of her when her team received their medals to keep this moment for those who couldn’t make it out to see this achievement.

That's my eldest baby bringing home the gold after her championship-winning play. It was an awesome moment!
That’s my eldest baby bringing home the gold after her championship-winning play. It was an awesome moment!

Am I going a little bit overboard? Maybe, depending on the situation. Do I care, NOPE! Why do I think this is worthy topic to even be spending my time clacking away on my computer about? Because I care about my kids, and I’m a proud mama! It’s my way of letting them know just how proud of them I am when they have achieved a goal or a good grade. I also want them knowing I’m their #1 fan.Even though I will always think of them my babies, I am also amazed at how much they are growing into some awesome kids, and eventually, adults.

Are you a “Cheerleader Mom” like me? What do you do when your child achieves a goal?

Reese

1. Louise

March 15, 2015 at 12:40 pm

That’s your baby indeed! Congrats to your daughter on her volleyball accomplishments! And you are NOT going overboard – cheer you kids on! As for mine – they’re still younger, so its congrats with hugs and kisses and with my 5-year-old telling her I’m always proud of her, even when she’s struggling with something. That said, we work to find and highlight things she does well. For example, she ROCKS at swimming and is very kind and has an amazing imagination! That’s my Baby! πŸ™‚

1. Reese Speaks

March 15, 2015 at 12:50 pm

Thanks Louise! I think it is very important to let your kids know how you are proud of them. In this world, there going to hear about everything that’s wrong with them. I think they need to know someone is in their corner, too.

2. Reese Speaks

March 16, 2015 at 12:25 pm

Thanks, Louise! Sometimes, I know I may be a bit loud, but meh! That’s my kid being awesome out there!

I think it is also cool to highlight something that our kids do, young or old. I think that they need to hear what they are doing right when they are getting so many messages from so many sources about what they are doing wrong.

I’m glad your baby is rocking at so many things already! Congrats must go out to you, too! πŸ™‚

2. Catherine (@AlwaysARedhead)

March 19, 2015 at 12:37 pm

I have always loved watching my kids play soccer, so I completely get where you are coming from!

1. Reese Speaks

March 19, 2015 at 2:45 pm

2. Reese Speaks

March 19, 2015 at 2:48 pm

Thanks, Catherine! Soccer can be a rough sport for a parent to watch their child take part in, especially when they get hit or hurt by another player.

3. Gwen @ Delightful Adventures

July 23, 2015 at 8:35 am

Just like you said in the comment above: “it is very important to let your kids know how you are proud of them.”

So true. Keep doing what you are doing πŸ™‚

1. Reese Speaks

July 24, 2015 at 8:03 am

Thanks Gwen! I always let them know! I’m their #1 fan!

4. Aeryn Lynne

October 5, 2015 at 12:10 pm

Congrats to your daughter for her win! I’m sure it will be a life-learning moment she’ll never forget. πŸ™‚

1. Reese Speaks

October 5, 2015 at 12:12 pm

Thanks Aeryn! It is a moment we will never forget! She was upset that I didn’t record it! It was awesome!

5. Randa @ TBK

October 6, 2015 at 9:40 am

No way you are not overboard at all! Children need to be praised on how hard they work and when they accomplish their goals! Good for her!

1. Reese Speaks

October 6, 2015 at 1:56 pm

Thanks Randa! That is how I feel! I want my kids to know that I have their backs and support their dreams. It is one of my ways of showing this support.

6. chancesmommy

October 6, 2015 at 10:00 am

Congrats to your daughter! I think as parents, it’s only natural to feel this way when our kids accomplish goals and see them reap the fruits of their labours. It’s a momentous experience for parent and child!

1. Reese Speaks

October 6, 2015 at 1:58 pm

Thanks Chancesmommy! I am the biggest cheerleader where my kids are concerned. I am sometimes temped to start wearing her school colours to her games…baby steps for me! πŸ˜›

7. Kelly Connor

October 6, 2015 at 12:31 pm

Aw I’m so happy for your daughter. You are not overboard at all… I consider myself a “cheerleader “mom as well. It’s the only way to be in my opinion.

1. Reese Speaks

October 6, 2015 at 2:02 pm

Thanks Kelly! I’m glad I am not the only one out there! I realize that there are types of support parents display to show how proud they are proud of their kids. It just seems as though I am the loud one out there in a sea of quiet supporters. I gladly fill this role!