Stepping Up to the Barre at The Dailey Method Ottawa! #30DayBloggersChallenge

Hey, Readers!

As I have previously mentioned, I have started to take steps to make myself a better me this year. Though I have begun to take these steps, I feel as though I needed something extra to add to the HIIT (High-Intensity Interval Training) routines I was doing to really take my workouts to the next level and to stay motivated in working out and becoming stronger. When I was asked by The Dailey Method Ottawa to take part in their #30DayBloggerChallenge, I was really excited to step up to the barre to see what it could do to improve my workouts and well-being!

Reese Speaks The Dailey Method Logo from App Edited Photo
Photo Credit:  http://www.thedailymethod.com

The Dailey Method is unlike any workout routine I have ever tried. Unlike a cardio or HITT  routines, The Dailey Method focuses on ballet barre fitness. Jill Dailey was instrumental in bringing this brand of fitness to the forefront when she opened the doors to the first Dailey Method studio in San Francisco in 2000. The Dailey Method combines dance, yoga, kinesiology and pilates to provide an efficient and effective full-body workout. Now there are 57 studios spanning three continents helping students to achieve their fitness goals.

HappyHour_SquarePost Pic
Photo Credit: http://www.thedaileymethod.com

Before attending my first class, I did not know what to expect since I had never done any barre work. Once signed up to start my challenge, I used their handy app to get myself registered for classes week by week. This way I was making a commitment to myself not to skip it. I was also advised to come to classes 3 times a week in order to learn the moves used in this kind of workout and to start to see (and feel) results. You are also able to set up a reminder in your calendar so you do not forget about an upcoming class. I liked how I was able to learn a little bit about each of the classes and the instructor leading it on a specific day.

Reese Speaks The Dailey Method App Collage Photo

Here are some of the things recommended to me that I took to heart before taking my first class at The Dailey Method Ottawa that I would love to share with you:

• Go at your own pace; everyone has different strengths
  • Take as many breaks as you need; it’s YOUR time
  • Remember that it is not a competition; you’re surrounded by peers

This was me on my way to my first TDM Ottawa class

Reese Speaks The Dailey Method Game Face Photo
Yes, I was all business here! 😛

I was so excited and motivated to get going. From my first class to my last, I was not disappointed. The Ottawa studio is GORGEOUS! It was simple, bright and open. There are large windows along one wall of the workout studio and mirrors covering most of the remaining wall space. I loved the gorgeous wood floors throughout the space as well. It made each class easier to work out in.

TDMphotos Studio-13
Photo Credit: http://www.thedaileymethod.com

There are various classes the Dailey Method offers students. These are the 5 different intensity levels of classes students can take at their Ottawa location:

• Dailey Gentle (60 minutes)
  • Dailey Basics (60 minutes)
  • Dailey Barre (60 minutes)
  • Dailey Express 45 (45 minutes)
  • Dailey Interval 45 (45 minutes)

Dailey Method Studio Shoot 2016-Complete Collection- Barre Work 0236
Photo Credit: http://www.thedaileymethod.com

This is all you need to take a class:

Reese Speaks The Dailey Method Clothing
NOTE: The plant is just there for scenery. It would make for a very awkward weight during a class! 🙂  Mats, weights, and exercise balls are all available inside the studio for you to use.

That’s it, that’s all, Readers! I was advised to wear clothing that was form-fitting and comfortable so I would not have to worry about my clothing getting in the way during a class.  It is also so instructors can see whether you are executing each move correctly and to give guidance if needed.

I will not lie: Every class kicked my butt! All of the instructors I had the pleasure of meeting were extremely welcoming. They always noticed when there was a new face in their class.They went out of their way to introduce themselves, ask questions about whether I had any physical issues that may hinder my workout, and came over to anyone during the class to correct their form. They even made themselves available after each class to show me how to perform moves I was still not clear about how to do.

Dailey Method Studio Shoot 2016-Complete Collection-0161 Instruction
Photo Credit: http://www.thedaileymethod.com

Each workout focused on little movements to get the desired workout for the part of the body being focused on. At the end of my first class, I was a bit wiped, drenched in sweat, yet SO happy I had attended!

Every class was a fabulous experience. Each class was not too big.I visited the studio during the morning hours, so the class sizes were smaller and more intimate.  I did not feel as though I ever got lost in a crowd.

After a few classes, I noticed I was stronger when doing my other workouts at home. I was able to challenge myself more and want to work out longer. I would highly recommend The Dailey Method Ottawa and cannot wait to step back up to the barre once my children are back in school!

Reese Speaks The Dailey Method Barre 2 Photo

Whether you want to start working out or you are looking for a different kind of workout to start doing, I would suggest giving The Dailey Method Ottawa a try! These classes are amazing and inspiring, you get a full-body workout and your best is the goal of each class. New students signing up to try The Dailey Method Ottawa can also enjoy their $79 New Client Special for a month of unlimited classes. Trust me, it is a deal worth taking!

For more information about The Dailey Method Ottawa, you can visit their website.You also can connect with them on their Facebook , Twitter,and Instagram pages!

What is your workout of choice? Would you want to step up to the barre?

Disclaimer: I received a 30-Day Membership to The Dailey Method Ottawa in order to write this review. The views I shared are my own.

1. the flying couponer

September 1, 2016 at 9:24 pm

This is really a class I would love to try! I wonder if I could find the same in Toronto?

1. Reese Speaks

September 2, 2016 at 3:18 pm

Thanks, the flying couponer! I do not believe they have a studio in Toronto (yet)! I will ask if there are any plans in the works for T.O.! It would be amazing if they did!

2. Little Miss Kate (@LilMissKateCo)

September 1, 2016 at 10:06 pm

Looks like a beautiful studio. I love this “alternative” types of workouts. Everyone thinks of cardio or step classes as a workout, but there are so many other fun classes out there to keep you interested and motivated while you improve your strength and flexibility

1. Reese Speaks

September 2, 2016 at 3:30 pm

Thanks, Little Miss Kate! My strength and flexibility has improved after my 30 day bloggers’ challenge. The combo of disciplines put together by The Dailey Method is amazing and I felt muscles I was not used to feeling after doing a cardio workout.

3. Lindsay

September 2, 2016 at 11:24 am

Lady you look FIERCE! I am totally intimidated by any kind of workout class because I’m so sure I’ll make a fool out of myself. Right now, my workout routine involves chasing my kids around all day every day!

1. Reese Speaks

September 2, 2016 at 3:37 pm

Thanks Mamanlousden! Thanks so much for the compliment. Chasing after my kids is one of the daily workout I had before and after these workouts! 😛 I thought I would have felt intimidated during my first class because I had never take a class like this before. Once you enter the studio, it is so opening and welcoming, and the instructors are really awesome. Everyone in class is there to learn, and the instructors do a great job of making you feel comfortable and having fun while kicking your butt in gear!

4. mscmommylife

September 4, 2016 at 1:24 pm

I love gyms that use apps to book their programs. Not only is it convenient but it keeps you accountable to not skip out on classes. Walking is my workout of choice this days but I do love a variety of classes like dance, and yoga.

1. Reese Speaks

September 14, 2016 at 9:28 pm

Thanks mscmommylife! Any form of physical activity is good! Yes, booking the class through the app is so much easier than worrying and wondering if there is space in the class and makes you want to stick with your fitness goals!

5. Tiara Wilson

May 4, 2017 at 11:42 am

You look amazing! Get it in lady! I need to kick it into gear and get my booty back in the gym and get to working out. I love that these gyms have apps that you can use to schedule whatever program you’d like to get into. The only exercising I get currently, is when me and my little take a walk. 😮

May 17, 2017 at 5:28 pm

Thanks so much, Tiara! Getting out with your child is being active. I love how gyms have apps to help keep you accountable

6. candy

May 4, 2017 at 12:43 pm

This challenge sounds wonderful. Since I am now in the older age group I am not sure if I could do all the different work outs that you will be doing. I could always try.

May 17, 2017 at 5:33 pm

What is great about this workout, candy is that there is a advanced and scaled down level for each of exercise. I do both interchangeably if I can’t perform the advanced moves all the time

7. Nancy at Whispered Inspirations

May 4, 2017 at 1:45 pm

Ugh apps to book for gyms is the BEST. It’s so much better to organize yourself… and harder to back out on. I love a variety of classes. Zumba is great.

May 17, 2017 at 5:29 pm

Thanks, Nancy! Apps are fabulous to help you on track with your fitness goals

8. Mandee

May 4, 2017 at 3:31 pm

That looks like a great workout routine! My go-to is dancing! I love to do dance workouts because they are fun!

May 17, 2017 at 5:25 pm

Dance routines are fun to do! I’m glad you have found a routine that keeps you active

9. Jennifer Van Huss

May 4, 2017 at 8:59 pm

That is awesome!! Its very important to remember to take care of yourself!! I have started daily yoga! Some days I do challenging ones and others I try easy ones! I feel so much better after I do it! Keep up the great work!

May 17, 2017 at 5:40 pm

I hear you, Jennifer! After doing these workouts, I like doing either yoga, a run or another routine

10. Lisa Favre

May 5, 2017 at 3:02 am

These classes look so good! I’ll have to tell my best friend about them – we’re always trying to find ways to keep fit!

May 17, 2017 at 5:44 pm

Thanks, Lisa! These classes were really good! They really put me through my paces

11. Joely Smith

May 5, 2017 at 4:05 am

Well that’s pretty cool! I never knew this was a thing. I used the barre but that was in ballet where you would expect it of course. I love all the creative ways to get in shape these days! Glad you enjoyed it!

May 17, 2017 at 6:17 pm

Thanks, Joely. Barre workouts are fabulous! I love that it helped to become more aware of my body and how I move

12. Victoria Heckstall

May 5, 2017 at 2:55 am

This is a great routine I want but I need to manage first my time. It’s also important to take care ourselves.

May 17, 2017 at 5:42 pm

Thanks, Victoria! The Dailey Method 30 Day Challenge was a lot of fun to do! It helped me get back into the swing of a fitness routine

13. Michelle Waller

May 5, 2017 at 2:45 pm

I haven’t heard of this before, but it looks prett cool. Def. something I could do.

14. Mary Edwards

May 5, 2017 at 10:12 pm

I would actually enjoy this workout! I love that you can work at your own pace. And take breaks too

May 20, 2017 at 4:09 pm

Thanks Mary! The instructors were great at providing alternatives to certain moves if you had an injury as well

15. David Elliott

May 6, 2017 at 5:45 am

Congrats on finding such a good place that you can work out in and is improving your energy. I am trying to find something similar for me. I am going to the gym but it’s kind of nice being in classes too.

May 20, 2017 at 4:10 pm

There were men in these classes as well! It was great to see them step up to the barre as well

16. Rose Cottrill

May 7, 2017 at 10:08 am

Making ourselves a better person is important especially as a Mom for our children. I would love to attend classes like this.

May 20, 2017 at 4:17 pm

Thanks, Rose! I hope that you do get to attend a class. I feel icky by being out of shape, and was glad to have this opportunity

17. Marielle Altenor

May 7, 2017 at 5:16 pm

I keep saying that I will start working out but I lack motivation lol I just need something that will keep me accountable and push me to keep going once I start

May 20, 2017 at 4:23 pm

This workout is great for giving you that modivation! Since they are short, you can a good session in that is short and easy to do

18. rika

May 8, 2017 at 1:47 am

This is so cool! I would love to check out this place, i need to get some exercises!

May 20, 2017 at 4:27 pm

Yes, please do check out these classes, rika! They will put you through your paces, but they are a lot of fun, too!

19. Michelle Cantu

May 8, 2017 at 5:01 am

Oh good for you. I seriously need to start taking better care of myself. Barre sounds fun too.

May 20, 2017 at 4:25 pm

Thanks, Michelle! Barre was such a good workout! The music was pumping, and the instructors are fun and helpful. It’s a great workout to try!

20. Ada

May 9, 2017 at 6:37 pm

This sounds awesome! I love taking barre classes.

May 20, 2017 at 4:32 pm

They really are, Ada! I felt great after finishing each barre workout