Experience a Block Party Like No Other at Glowfair 2017!

Hey Readers,

Festival season is in full swing in Ottawa. There are so many different celebrations to attend and enjoy in 2017. Since it is Canada’s 150 anniversary of Confederation, residents and visitors to Canada’s capital have a lot to celebrate. Glowfair is revving up to get the party started this year by throwing its 4th annual festival! It is a super mega block party that takes place along Bank Street between Slater and James Streets on June 16 and 17, 2017.

Photo Credit: Glowfair, Collage of Glowfair events

What is Glowfair all about?

Glowfair is a festival that incorporates music, light, art and community, in partnership with the Bank Street Business Improvement Area. It stretches 10 city blocks along Ottawa’s popular Bank Street. During these two days of fun, there will be about 75 performers or attractions to entertain the expected 50 000 revellers. Oh, I forgot to mention that entry to the festivities is FREE!!!

Photo Credit: Glowfair; Main Stage

So, what’s happening at this year’s event?

What is in store for visitors of Glowfair, you ask? There will be plenty of things to see and do for people of all ages. Here are some of the highlights to look forward to:

• Soundboard DJ stage featuring Steph Honey, MelBoogie and JUMP’s own DJs iLon and Katrella
  • Glow Yoga with Nigel Walker
  • The Silent Disco where you can dance in the street while wearing headphones along with 3 000 other people
  • Spin City
  • Escape Manor
  • Colour Cameleon
  • House of PainT
  • A rock climbing stations
  • Ariel opera
  • A selfie stage
  • And so much more!

Photo Credit: Glowfair; Glow Yoga on Bank Street

The celebration of Canada 150 also brings the festivities of Ottawa2017. A unique show has been put together that will feature top talent from Ottawa, such as Tara Shannon of Willow Sound Records.

VP fun at Glowfair (Kid Fun)

Since the VPs are old enough to stay up a bit longer, we will be making a point to let them take in some of what this year’s Glowfair has to offer. They would love to take in the DJ School being held both days in the Soundbar section of the festival between Laurier Avenue and Gloucester Street. Since the VPs love to tinker, the Interactive Station being held both days by the Museum of Science and Technology on June 16th would be a great spot to visit in the Energy Zone between Gloucester and Nepean Streets. They will also want to leave with a piece of Glowfair by visiting the Colourful Chameleon Face Paint Station in the Bizarre Bazaar between Lisgar and Cooper Streets.

When the cat’s away (or when the VPs are at home)…

When the VPs go back to “The Office,” I will be taking in the sights and sounds of the night. I will be one of the revellers silently dancing to beats at the Silent Disco at the Mainstage  (Note – There is a $20 deposit required to use headphones at this event).  I will also be checking out a lot of the musical talent and DJs Glowfair has scheduled for visitors to groove to. Finally, I can’t wait to watch the Aerial Antics take flight in the Bizzare Bazaar.

Glowfair will be a festival to remember. The art, music, and high energy surrounding this year’s event will be a block party like no other you have been a part of before. Whether it is with your family, a date night idea, or a fun night out with friends, Glowfair is a festival to attend!

Photo Credit: Glowfair; Street view from about Glowfair

Curious to find out more about Glowfair? You can check them out on their website, as well as their Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram pages!

Which attraction of Glowfair would you see on your visit?

Reese.

Disclaimer: I have been granted a press pass in order to attend this year’s festivities at Glowfair. The views I shared are my own.

1. Stacie @ Divine Lifestyle

May 30, 2017 at 11:50 am

That’s not a block party, that’s an epic event! I would love to be a part of that.

1. reesespeaks

May 30, 2017 at 11:38 pm

Thanks Stacie! It will certainly be a feast for the senses

2. Bill Sweeney

May 30, 2017 at 12:08 pm

Glowfair looks amazing. I haven’t been to a fest in so long. I would love for this one to be the one I go to.

1. reesespeaks

May 30, 2017 at 11:40 pm

I love festivals, Bill. This one is such an adventure at every turn. I can’t wait to share my experiences when I attend

3. Kelly Hutchinson

May 30, 2017 at 2:34 pm

This looks like so much fun! I think the Glow Yoga would be something to experience if I were to go.

1. reesespeaks

May 30, 2017 at 11:40 pm

A friend of mine did it last year, Kelly. She said it was one she would never forget.

4. Natalie

May 30, 2017 at 4:53 pm

Would love to go to Glowfair! I’m from Montreal and there are so many festivals to attend here in the summer, such as Just For Laughs, Jazz Festival and Osheaga!

1. reesespeaks

May 30, 2017 at 11:42 pm

I have always wanted to attend those festivals, too, Natalie. Glowfair will be the first big one for me this year.

5. Joely Smith

May 30, 2017 at 4:54 pm

Wow! I would love to give this a try! Looks like a high energy event! It also looks like something my kids would do with me!

1. reesespeaks

May 30, 2017 at 11:42 pm

Thanks Joely! I will be taking my kids to the fun stuff

2. reesespeaks

May 30, 2017 at 11:44 pm

Thanks Joely! I sill be taking my VPs to the afternoon activities, then going back out later to experience it at night with other big kids.

6. Mandee

May 30, 2017 at 5:21 pm

Wow, this looks like a great event! I sure wish there were block parties like this closer to us—we would definitely attend! I love all of the fun activities offered for everyone to enjoy!

1. reesespeaks

May 30, 2017 at 11:45 pm

Thanks Mandee! This festival is really unique and it’s great that kids and adults can have fun!

7. Marcie W.

May 30, 2017 at 6:20 pm

Glowfair sounds like so much fun and a super unique experience! I really appreciate all of the activities being offered and hooray for it all being free!

1. reesespeaks

May 30, 2017 at 11:46 pm

I totally agree with you, Marcie! Not many festivals would offer so much and be free as well

8. CNA Photos

May 30, 2017 at 7:03 pm

That looks unreal! Would love to head up to Ottawa sometime this year for the 150th celebrations. The yoga looks like so much fun!

1. reesespeaks

May 30, 2017 at 11:47 pm

Thanks CNA! I hope you are able to come to Ottawa to join in on the Canada 150 celebrations. The yoga really does look like it would be a fun experience.

9. Amanda

May 30, 2017 at 7:56 pm

Wow, Glowfair sounds like so much fun! We are quite a ways away from Canada but will most definitely be celebrating in spirit!

1. reesespeaks

May 30, 2017 at 11:48 pm

Thanks Amanda! I can’t wait to venture through every zone they have set up for all of the entertaining they will be doing.

10. Dogvills

May 30, 2017 at 9:54 pm

This sounds amazing. I’ve never been to a block party. This looks so fun.

1. reesespeaks

May 30, 2017 at 11:38 pm

Thanks Dogvills! It is such an amazing experience to be having fun with people you would ordinarily pass on the street.

11. Rebecca Swenor

May 31, 2017 at 2:30 am

The Glowfair sounds like so much fun. It really would be worth going to this festival with all the action going on for the two days. We will have to check this out for sure. Thanks for sharing this amazing event.

12. TIm B

May 31, 2017 at 10:53 am

Ottawa is a city I’ve been wanting to visit and haven’t yet. What a great event! Everyone talks about going to Toronto and Montreal and the capital city doesn’t get its fair due.

13. Echo

May 31, 2017 at 11:04 am

Man oh man, does this look like an amazing time! This is something that I could totally get in to!

14. Melissa Dixon

May 31, 2017 at 11:33 am

I have never heard of this but it looks exciting! I am not too much of a crowd type person but this does look worth fighting the crowds for, so fun!

15. Kathy

May 31, 2017 at 12:58 pm

That sounds like a ton of fun. I wish my neighborhood did more block parties like these. I need to get together with some neighbors and think of something like this!

16. uprunforlife

May 31, 2017 at 2:25 pm

This sounds like an interesting event. I am not huge on crowds but I think my kids would enjoy the kids night. Who doesn’t enjoy playing with glowsticks? 🙂

17. Karlyn Cruz

May 31, 2017 at 4:31 pm

It sounds like a great event! I’ve never been to one and I know I need to head there!

18. Lisa Marie Heath

May 31, 2017 at 11:57 pm

Wow this seems incredible! Seems like a super fun event, wish we had more things like that around here

1. reesespeaks

June 1, 2017 at 1:04 am

Thanks Lisa Marie Heath! It does look phenomenal.

19. Lynndee

June 1, 2017 at 4:23 pm

How fun! We went to a block party in a neighborhood here before, but the crowd wasn’t as big as that. Bet you had a blast!

20. Aeryn Lynne

June 1, 2017 at 5:16 pm

Glowfair sounds amazing! Am checking to see if I can visit Ottawa during that time, lol. A lot of the programs available sound like so much fun, but I would definitely want to check out Escape Manor! 🙂 Thanks for the heads up!

21. Lindsay

June 1, 2017 at 9:26 pm

The Silent Disco sounds amazing! No one will know that I have trouble following the beat … since they can’t hear what I’m listening to!

22. Maya Fitzpatrick

June 1, 2017 at 10:55 pm

Wow. This looks amazing! If we’re not up at the cottage we might just have to make a special trip out to check this out. Looks so amazing!