Rice cereal treats are a favourite snack for my VPs to enjoy any time of the year. It is crunchy yet chewy and is always fun to eat. I thought I would try taking these treats to the next level to fully celebrate all of the special times of the year. This is where I came up with the idea for my Fun-Shaped Rice Cereal Treats!
These treats are great to eat because they are scrumptious, bright, and fun to look at. They are also easy to make. I only need a few extra ingredients to add to rice cereal treats to make these cute designs pop.
Cookie cutters are becoming my best friends. They are so useful and help to bring any occasion to life with different shapes. I also love using the leftover rice cereal by rolling them up into balls to add more treats to enjoy.
I like adding more marshmallows to these treats. I say the gooier, the better. It also helps to keep the treats moist when melting the chocolate and caramel.
Some of my favourite designs to create are the winter themes. The Christmas tree was so much fun to drizzle white chocolate on, them to put the different sprinkles on it. It was like putting up a mini Christmas tree.
The snowflakes were also fun to design. There are oodles of ways to make these special treats shine. Just like the ones that fall outside, each one can be as individual as you want them to be.
Are you excited to see how to whip up my Fun-Shaped Rice Cereal Treats? Take a look below to see how to put them together!
1. Melt butter or margarine in a large pot over medium heat.
2. Add marshmallows and stir until melted.
3. Stir vanilla into mixture.
4. Add in rice cereal and stir until blended together.
5. Add 15 drops of food colouring to add colour to rice cereal mixture. Add more colour for a deep colour. Add less for a lighter hue. If you want to have more than one colour, separate some of the rice treat mixture and add a different colour to this portion.
6. (Optional) Stir in two-thirds of the sprinkles to your rice cereal mix.
7. Evenly spread out the rice cereal mix onto a baking sheet to be about 1 ½ inches thick.
8. Press cookie cutters into rice treats to cut fun-themed shapes. For multi-coloured treats, line up multiple coloured treats on the cookie sheet tightly while still moist, and then use the cookie cutter to cut out the desired shape. Roll the leftover rice cereal treats into balls to add to your snacking fun.
9. Wrap the cut-out treats with plastic wrap to keep them moist while melting the chocolate and caramel.
10. Melt chocolate in a double boiler, stirring constantly until melted. For the caramels, place unwrapped caramels into a separate double boiler, add milk, and stir constantly to help melt them easier.
11. Unwrap rice cereal and drizzle chocolate and/or caramel onto rice treats to make fun designs on your treats.
12. Add themed sprinkles to finish off your designs.
Don't have a double boiler at home (like me)? I use a deep pot and a thick, medium-sized glass mixing bowl to create a double boiler. I fill the pot about a third of the way, then place the glass bowl in top of it and boil the water in the pot.
Share this Recipe
My Fun-Shaped Rice Cereal Treats are great for different times of the year. They also add a bit of whimsy to holidays and observances like Valentine’s Day, St. Patrick’s Day, Easter and more!
Even seasons, birthdays and Game Days are more exciting to celebrate with these gems. The possibilities are endless!
I really hope you enjoy making my Fun-Shaped Rice Cereal Treats for your family and friends to crunch on! They are a work of art and of fun!
Which occasion would you love to make my Fun-Shaped Rice Cereal Treats for?